To keep a track of various environmental parameters and use them for intelligent home control, sometime back I set off on this journey to setup a remote data logging system using Arduinos and open source M2M software.
First, the hardware used :-
- Arduinos – pretty much any model will do. At a minimum you need two, one for the base receiver and the other for the remote data capture / control unit.
- Mango M2M. I got a second hand laptop for Rs.3000/-, converted it into a linux server with Ubuntu Server and installed Mango M2M on it.
- Sensors – humidity, temperature, pressure, ultrasound etc etc
Since there is a fair amount of work involved, vs creating a single large post, I am going to break up all the steps for this remote data logging setup into smaller logical section (posts) :-
- M2M box setup on Ubuntu server.
- Construction and programming of base unit (arduino receiver), connecting to the M2M box
- Construction, programming and connectivity of one or more Remote Arduino Sensors
- Construction, programming and connectivity of one or more Remote Arduino Sensor and Control Units
- Bringing it all together.